Built by Portland in 1872, this locomotive is a museum artifact and was pulled from storage in 2013 to start cosmetic restoration work.
This project was initiated in anticipation of using #40 as a key-note static display at a new museum building/site.
Under the direction of the museum staff, Dirty Hands Club volunteers worked at cleaning and needle gunning both the boiler and underside of #40 and it's front truck.
Subsequent to this initial restoration work, #40 was placed back into storage.
Photo courtesy of J. Loucks.