Pontiac HyRail #26 Work
Summary by Stephen Harling
- Since the last update on 26 we have rebuilt the Rochester carburetor, pulled the gas tank had it pressure tested flushed and then rebuilt the internal float assembly.
- The sending unit was repaired, some wiring replaced so we now have a functioning gas gauge. All fuel lines have also been replaced.
- The original tires and air shocks have been removed and replaced with new tires and shocks which meet GM specifications.
- The front-mount hydraulic pump for the Fairmont Rail kit was pulled and sent out to be rebuilt. During reassembly we replaced the front & rear hydraulic lines.
- The interior seating has all been removed, frames disassembled, sandblasted and painted. The cushions are currently at a professional antique automotive restoration facility where all new O.E.M. seating fabric is being sown as well as the rebuilding of the cushion. The four door panels have also been removed and outsourced for replacement.
- Finally all cargo bay panels have been removed, sandblasted and repainted. New rubber matting has been ordered to cover the aforementioned cargo panels and cargo bay floor. We also await delivery of new O.E.M. carpeting and kick panels for the passenger compartment.
Passenger Car #4977 Work
Summary by Ross Robinson
- Roof planks on both side roofs replaced along with 20 purlins and new drip edges. New drip edges are being installed along the existing top roof.
- Plan to install glued down EPDM rubber sheet (roof covering) in May.
- All 44 new windows completed and painted. All wood material for the outside frames manufactured. Eleven windows are installed.
- Steel openings refurbished, sills cleaned and repaired.
- Seats removed to storage, arm rests cleaned and stored. Paint stripping ongoing at concession end and other small parts.
- Exterior sheeting cleaned, primed. Heavy metal repairs started at vestibules. New traps required, new steps required. We have copies of original drawings.