Former Canadian Pacific Railway caboose, 436436, was built by the railway in 1913. The Society acquired the car in 1983 and moved it to Thurso Quebec for use on the Thurso and Nation Valley Railway (T&NVR) which ran north into the woodlands of Western Quebec.

The caboose was sheath in plywood when delivered and some restoration work was done at Thurso for operations on the T&NVR.

When the railway was closed in 1986, 436436 was moved to the Canada Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa where members completed a full restoration project which involved, among other things, the removal of the plywood siding, replacement of rotted wood framing and many other requirements to make the car "as good as new".


Technical Information

Type and Origin
Acquired 1986
Builder Canadian Pacific
Model Caboose
Build date 1913
Length 35 ft
Exterior Wood Sheathing. 3" Tongue and Groove
Underframe  Steel
Trucks AAR
Performance Figures
Train brakes  Air