Thurso and Nation Valley Railway (T&NVR) No. 10 was built in 1946 by General Electric at its Erie, Pennsylvania plant for the Singer Manufacturing factory in Elizabethport, New Jersey.
In 1960, Singer moved the locomotive to their plant at Thurso, Quebec where it was used for switching around the Singer yard for the T&NVR. No 10 had a close connection with the Society during its latter days with the T&NVR. The locomotive was usually called to move the BRS' Thurso & Nation Valley Official's Car No. 27, in and out of the T&NVR shops for the Society's restoration project for No. 27.
The locomotive was sold in 1988, and moved near Wakefield, Quebec for a proposed tourist railway being promoted by Andy Tommy for operations between Hull and Wakefield, Quebec. Stored at the Edelweiss Ski Resort No. 10 was never used and remained there for 12 years.
In 2000, the Society purchased the locomotive and had it moved, by truck, to the Canada Science and Technology Museum.
Following its purchase by the Society, members spent two years restoring the 50-ton locomotive to operating condition where it is presently used to move Society and Museum equipment in and out of the shop. It also does double-duty as passenger locomotive on special days hauling Museum visitors along the Museum tracks, when the Museum's Shay Steam Locomotive is unavailable.
In 2012, the locomotive was painted in Canadian National Railways livery: CNR Green No 11 and CNR Yellow No 11 and to honour two of our late long-time members, Duncan du Fresne, 1930-2012 and Joe Toscas. Oct 10, 1925 - May 4, 2004, these two gentlemen's names appear under the windows, one on each side of the locomotive.